Monday, May 25, 2009

Skimping on Condiments.

Kao Soi
Chiang Mai Noodles with Curry Sauce

This is a mild curried dish from Northern Thailand that uses fresh egg noodles. It is typically served with lime, shallots, a bit of fried noodles, green onion, pickled cabbage, and chili oil. As you will see, I really skimped on the condiments, but it still turned out well if only because of the great noodles. I think I could eat them bare. Here is the package of the fresh noodles, which I bought from a Chinese grocery store in Chinatown:


First I made the curry in the dutch oven, which works great for saucy things. I boiled coconut cream, then dissolved a tablespoon of my red curry paste from the freezer and turmeric and continued the boil. Then the a pound of chicken goes in (I used thighs). After about two minutes, I added coconut milk, fish sauce, regular soy and dark sweet soy.


After 10 mines it was done. I should have added lime juice to the curry, but instead garnished with a lime. I sprinkled some shallots on top too.

My verdict: make this again, maybe with shrimp, and if I am going to skimp on condiments, at least make the chili oil.

The recipe above is found in:
Real Thai by Nancie McDermott.

No comments:

Post a Comment