Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Noodles and Cukes.

Rice Noodles Stir-Fried
with Fresh Chilies and Basil

This is a great noodle dish. It is similar to pad see ew, but has a spicy kick.

It is made with fresh flat noodles. The ones I bought are made in Philadelphia's Chinatown. They come in sheets in a package like this.

To prepare the noodles for stir-frying, you must cut the sheets into the size of noodle you would like and then pull apart the individual noodles.


Since I would be stir-frying, I got all my ingredients ready beforehand so that I could set them up by the stove. This is important, since stir-frying goes quickly.

I heated canola oil in the wok and, once hot, added garlic, then chilies, and finally thinly slice chicken. I browned that, then added a sugar mixture and, after a minute more, fish and soy sauce.


Next the noodles go in and finally, the basil and then the tomatoes.


Cucumber Salad

We had this pretty cucumber salad on the side. It was very easy to make. You bring sugar, vinegar (white or rice), and water, in equal parts, to a boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, you let this rest until it comes to room temperature. When you are ready to eat, mix in Thai chili pepper and a bit of cilantro, pour over sliced cucumbers, and garnish with pieces of roasted peanuts.

The recipes above are found in:
Real Thai by Nancie McDermott.

1 comment: