Friday, May 29, 2009

Mushrooms!

Sauteed Mushrooms
with Shrimp and White Pepper

I tried this dish with plain old button mushrooms and it turned out great. I say that everything is easy. This is both quick and easy, and contains no hard-to-find ingredients. In the picture below are the ingredients: shrimp, button mushrooms, sliced shallots, onion, ground white pepper, and garlic.


In a wok, I heated 2 tablespoons of oil and then stir-fried 2 tablespoons of garlic for 30 seconds. Next, I added 2 tablespoons of sliced shallot and stir-fried for about another minute. I then added 1/2 pound of shrimp and cooked for 1-2 minutes until it was no longer translucent.

Next come the mushrooms - a whole pound of them - and the onion. I cooked for another minute. I then added 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 tablespoons of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground white pepper.

The sauce was very good and unlike any of the Thai foods I have eaten before. I ate the dish with my leftover Chang Mai noodles, but it would be great with simple jasmine rice.

The above recipe is adapted from Real Thai by Nacie McDermott.

No comments:

Post a Comment